- Does not cause problem on windlass toothed.
- Does not have promontories like galvanization burs.
- It is fluent. When throwing anchor it slips.
- Does not cause extra fall in a faint while reeling in.
- Spreads easily to the sides. That makes windlass work properly.
- The above properties give opportunity to use windlass with remote control.
- Breaking load is more than the galvanized chains.
Stainless Steel Chain
CLEANING STAINLESS STEEL CHAIN BY OXALIC ACID:
Stainless steel is not completely stainless in sea water. Protection comes from applying a passive oxide layer, especially at some places such as the bottom of the chain locker, where sea water can cause more corrosion.
Though, the best way to protect stainless steel equipment is to wash it with fresh water after each use.
If you cannot do that, and see dirty spots on your chain, you can easily clean it as described below;
- Put your whole chain into a plastic bucket.
- Prepare oxalic acid + water solution in another plastic container and add as much as you need so it will cover the whole chain in the bucket.
- To create the solution: You need to add approximately 25 gr oxalic acid per each liter of water and mix it until the acid melts. (Normal soup spoon takes 35 gr oxalic acid.)
- Add this solution into the chain bucket so it will cover the whole chain.
- Depending on weather and corrosion the amount of cleaning time changes. It may take up to an hour.
- Check the chain and solution each 15 minutes. Pay close attention to not keep the chain in the solution for more than an hour or after 80% of the corrosion has been removed, since this might take away its shine.
- Clean the whole chain taken out of the solution by using fresh water (pressurized water is preferred).
The chain should now be clean.
You can use this solution to clean other stainless steel equipment, as well. To do that, you can apply the solution on to the rusted spots of your equipment and wait for around 10minutes, and then rub off by clean dust cloth. You can repeat this process if needed.
Oxalic acid is a weak acid. However, you should wash off immediately once it’s made contact with skin. Its appearance is alike with sugar and salt. You should pay attention not to ingest it by mistake.
Note: You can purchase oxalic acid from pharmaceutical warehouses.